This story is limited to Techwire Insider members.
This story is limited to Techwire Insider members. Login below to read this story or learn about membership.
The city of San Jose is recruiting for a smart city manager to work with city staff as well as tech companies to advance the city’s digital agenda.
The manager will report to the director of the Office of Civic Innovation and Digital Strategy and “has overall accountability for strategy and execution in partnership with city departments, especially the Information Technology Department,” the job posting states. “In effect, the smart city manager combines classic strategic planning with program management.”
The manager position “requires a broad set of skills including strategic thinking, public policy formulation, program and project management, team leadership and supervision, effective executive communications, strong stakeholder collaboration, public-private partnership formulation and negotiation, bringing clarity and direction to highly ambiguous situations, adoption of agile forms of doing work, and public engagement,” the posting notes. “This role requires collaboration with the directors and staff within almost all the city departments as well as the deputy city managers responsible for the city road map projects. The smart city manager will also partner with innovative companies to evaluate ways to accelerate smart city technology and digital services for both the public and city employees.”
Duties of the position include:
- Directly supervise Office of Civic Innovation staff;
- Collaborate with the Civic Innovation Broadband manager and broadband team;
- Manage the development operations (DevOps) cadence of the city road map management and reporting to the city manager and City Council;
- Manage the process of adding, changing and promoting initiatives on the city road map;
- Collaborate with the Information Technology Department on management and reporting of the smart city road map;
- Collaborate with the city’s Data Center of Excellence, Office of Racial Equity and other departments in development of data tools and insights to define and deliver budgets and services with a racial equity lens;
- Evaluate new technologies and approaches to accelerate smart city solutions;
- Practice and promote proven innovation techniques, including an agile approach to planning and execution.
Desired qualifications include:
- Experience with policies, strategies and execution of smart city solutions, including Internet of Things experience;
- Project and program management experience within a complex, multistakeholder process;
- Experience in planning, designing and delivering digital services to the end users and/or internal employee productivity improvements;
- Experience in deploying or managing deployments of tools to collect, organize and derive insights from disparate data.
The position has an annual salary range of $106,440 to $165,693, and initial applicant reviews will begin July 19. The recruitment will continue until the position is filled. More details are available in the job posting or by contacting Danielle Torralba.
Dennis Noone is Managing Editor of Techwire. He is a career journalist, having worked as a reporter and editor at small-town newspapers and major metropolitan dailies in California, Nevada, Texas and Virginia, including as an editor with USA Today in Washington, D.C. He lives in the Northern California foothills.
See More Stories by Dennis Noone
View Original Source